Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Then there was packing...

This is my last full day in the US of A and I've still got quite a bit of packing to do. Instead, I'm here starting this blog to start my adventure. Hopefully I'll get the hang of this thing and my diction will become clearer, but for now my mind is going all over the place. When I arrive in Europe, I will experience four weeks of introduction and finding apartments and travelling and plane flights and beer tasting; then diving into my courses at Utrecht University in the Netherlands.

Utrecht is about 30 minutes to the southeast of Amsterdam in the heart of Holland. My flight leaves tomorrow at 7:45pm from LAX and I will (hopefully) be arriving at Heathrow airport in England on Friday before skipping over to Amsterdam. More info on that stuff, I'm sure, will come later... hopefully when I reach the hostel this Friday night.

I'm anxious, excited, and nervous about this. Travelling internationally and trying to cram as many things in my bags as possible to enable living for a year in another country. I will be exchanging whatever sort of life I have back here in the states for an completely different life overseas. I want to meet new people, make new connections, establish friendships and relationships with people who may or not even speak English. I want to visit friends in Madrid and Barcelona and Dublin, and I want to singlehandedly navigate the countrysides of Edinburgh and London. I would like to sleep on Mediterranean beaches and marvel at the artworks in the Louvre. I want to get lost in a long-forgotten German town and discover a cafe with the best scones in the world. I'd like to survive in a world beyond the Southern California bubble and come back with stories of crazy nights and gorgeous days.

Should be quite the experience, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment