Sunday, August 5, 2012

Then there was groceries and wine...

Woke up this morning around 10. Met with the people in my place around 11 and decided to try and walk into town. I navigated most of it, and the walk took about 30 to 40 minutes. We ate lunch at Enzo, and ordered waters. The waiter brought out glass bottled water and we were charged 2.20 euros- the same amount as bier. We learned that lesson pretty quick.
After lunch, which in total cost about 10 euros, we simply walked all over the city again, discovering more streets and canals. Around 1400 we decided to start heading back to Cambridgelaan and pick up groceries along the way. Albert Hein is the most popular grocery store in the area, and was surprisingly well priced. In my excitement to be shopping for the first time and to be "of age", I bought a decent Sauvignon Blanc and a six pack of a beer that I had seen on tap in the Broer's cafe. We soon walked all the way back to campus- never again.
We never left Cambridgelaan again once we returned, other than to make trips to Spar- the grocery store on campus. It has basically everything you'd need for food and cleaning supplies. Made myself a salad with some kaas and kip (cheese and chicken) and tried the wine on the side.
It rained.
I have made it a "thing" to start taking pictures of all the different biers I've had, so I'll get around to posting those sometime in the future...
We met some other UC students who live on the floor above ours, and their kitchen is quite a bit nicer. They have an HD TV and were watching the Olympics, which I haven't watched since I left SoCal. The hammerthrow and triple jump are intense. Some things were passed around the table and I left shortly afterwards to get some dinner.
Girls from my floor joined me in the kitchen and we researched flights around Europe for places that looked interesting to travel for the two-week gap. Academic confusion was also discussed. Questions to be answered!
...tomorrow!
So for now, goodnight

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm going to Berlin for the first weekend of Oktoberfest, but I'll try and make it down there sometime!

    ReplyDelete